Monday, February 8, 2010

What is "elective", anyways?

Here goes my first blog....enjoy:

Today was a snow day, much to my surprise. I woke up at 8 to about 4 text messages from friends saying "snow day, snow day!!". I wiped the sleep from my eyes and looked outside, and BEHOLD!!! 3 inches of snow!! Wasnt even in the forecast last night at 10 when i checked weather.com. So, I have had a pretty uneventful day. It is currently 7 pm and im still in my pajamas. I basically slept and ate and thats all...but isnt it nice to have a day like that? The only 2 things I accomplished were:
1. changing my account info with dish network
2. getting information about benefits on my AFLAC policies
The dish stuff was no sweat. Other than the fact that my signal has been lost since about 10:30 this morning because of the snow, it was easy-peezy.
The AFLAC was a different story. I signed up for these policies on 04 because of the promise of the agents about how well they pay when you have a child. Several of my friends have received about $6000 at the time of delivery because of their policies. Now I have 2 of them, on top of accident and cancer policies. I have been meaning to call and find out if my hospital/surgical policy would cover my egg retrieval, since it is done under sedation. Of course, the customer service rep has NO clue what an "oocyte retrieval" is...let alone an egg retrieval. I explain it to her several times...her question "Is it elective?".... Well, HELL NO, its not elective!!! Is chemo elective to a cancer patient? Are nsaids elective to an arthritis patient? Are antibiotics elective to someone with an ear infection? NO. NO. NO. I did not choose infertility. It is a disease just like everything else. I didnt ask a doctor to cut me open to enlarge my breasts, or to remove fat. I am a victim to this cruel, debilitating disease. Although it is not life threatening, it is killing me! Or it was killing me.....I guess now I have conquered it. But the scars are still there...and will never go away. I will never forget to be thankful for the gift I have been given. I will never forget the pain and struggle that I went through to get here. It will take time to return to the person I used to be. And there are many more, like me, who battle everyday. Some who fight many years more than I have....and some that will never win the battle. But they fought the good fight......and I promise it's not something anyone would wish on their worst enemy!

6 comments:

  1. Hey Golde, I also have AFLAC but I've only had it since September. My Agent said that everything to do with IVF is covered, although I was a little angry because she kept saying that my time off would be covered under short term disability and when they time came, they considered it preexisting.. Come on - have you ever heard of anyone going through IVF without being treated for infertility in the past?! I mean, it's valid, but they kept telling me it would be covered. Maybe since you've had the coverage for longer they'll cover it. I looked into the policy I think you're talking about (where they pay you so much for surgical procedures) and she said it would be covered. So good luck, I hope they'll come through for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My SIL did AFLAC, too, and it covered her hospital stay (got $5,000 after the baby, I think?). I never thought of it for IVF. I'm going to explore it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great thoughts, btw, on how we didn't choose this. We would never, ever choose this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is awesome to have! The only reason it wouldnt cover is if you were covered by medicaid. Which isnt something im dealing with, so its perfect for me. And you just have to have it for 10 months. So if you signed up for it a month before you conceive, it will pay. I plan on canceling it as soon as i pop this kid out.
    erica-it might be worth looking into if you have time before starting your next cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kelsey-if you conceive this month, you should be covered too. And i have 2 policies that pay on child birth, so ill be doubling up my winnings : ) were planning on using it for a nice vacation!!! and maybe a hot tub!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NOT ELECTIVE!!! I would not ELECT to have IVF!

    ReplyDelete