Saturday, February 13, 2010

Where do I go from here?

My first blog post ever and not the topic I wish it was about.

Jes and KB, your posts were so timely for me.

At almost 44, with 6 failed IVF cycles, is it time to stop? Can I put myself through another cycle? Don’t they say that the definition of stupidity is doing the same things over and over and expecting different results. How many times will it take to get through to me? I keep thinking that I just need that one good month. With IVF odds below 10% for my age, it is a huge gamble…..but people do get pregnant and have IVF success at my age….just very few of them…and not me. And what if November was my “good month”? I transferred one normal (or ½ normal as we tested ½ the chromosomes) and it still didn’t work. What if that was it? Was that my golden ticket? If I don’t stop at 6, when would be the right point…8…10…12? Is my head really that hard? Could my heart take it? Am I truly fucking up my body and is the effect of all these hormones going to mess up the rest of my life?

How do I give up on my eggs? How do I become okay with the thought that my family’s wonderful qualities won’t get passed on genetically to my child? Can I get over my concerns with using a donor egg? Can I get past the idea that I’m paying someone to go through all the shit of injections just so I can have a baby? Can I come to grips with the idea that I’m “designing” a baby by using both donor sperm and donor eggs? Am I really that desperate? I’m beginning to think yes. And what if that fails also? Wouldn’t that just be my luck?

My brother told me that he would be totally supportive of me using donor eggs. He and his wife have been my sounding boards through this as they went through 6 rounds of IVF. After 3, they became pregnant, but their daughter was born prematurely and only lived 10 days. After 3 more, they had my gorgeous niece who is now 2 ½ and I dote on. But it is so much easier to tell someone else to move to donor eggs than to do it yourself.

Jes, I too am a planner. I don’t know what I’m going to do if I don’t get to be a mom. Nothing, no quest, looks as good to me for the next 20 years of my life. I don’t want to be stuck in my same life. I have a great condo, great job, and wonderful and supportive family and friends…but I am alone and I want so much more than going through my life only as me. I want to be able to give all the love inside me to a child and a husband….but both have eluded me.

When I saw the cover of People magazine in the airport this week with Celine Dion’s IVF heartbreak on the cover, my first thought was “only 4 failures?” Not that I want any of us to go through this gut wrenching experience with that many negatives, but with 6 negatives I don’t see anybody writing up my heartbreak in a magazine. And she had her son on her very first IVF…so it is hard for me to feel too sad for her. Who knew this infertility stuff would turn me into a bitter unsympathetic person?

KB, Yeah, my face look like shit this whole past 2WW. Breakouts everywhere.

I won’t make any decisions when I’m in this emotional hormonal place. I’m taking at least a month off to let my body recover. But then again, I won’t be able to stop thinking about it. It is going to take a while to dig myself out of this giant pit of despair that I’m currently stuck in.

11 comments:

  1. Raven- i'm so so sorry that this cycle didn't work out for you. i don't know what to say, except that i think you're very wise to wait till you come down from all the hormones and intense, horrible pain in the days that immediately follow a BFN to figure out how you really feel about all this IVF stuff and to figure out what your next steps will be. ivf is horrible because unlike other challenges in life, it's not a matter of "try and eventually you will succeed" it seems to be heavily based on luck. it reminds of gambling where you'll always wonder if you could have won big if you just played that next hand, or in our case that next egg. i don't feel bad for celine either and i think this IVF crap has for the time being turned me into someone that is really bitter and i hope to God it's temporary. I pray that you find peace with whatever you decide. hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry Raven. The unknown is so scary sometimes especially when you thought you did know what was happening next and somehow you can't seem to make that happen. You will decide what is right for you as soon as all the fog and sadness clears away for you to think straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IF/IVF breeds as many unanswerable questions as anything. So many "why"s and "when"s and "how"s...it's dizzying and angering and cruel. Raven, I don't have any wisdom for you. I ask myself all these same questions, trying to prepare for the "what if"...and you're having to deal with these questions with 6 IVFs under your belt...I imagine all the confusion and despair is magnified many times over. I wish you could escape to an island retreat for the next month and be waited on hand and foot.

    Pemmie, excellent response...all so true.

    We're with you, Raven...whatever that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugs to you, sweet, strong, brave Raven. You deserve to have this happen for you, and whatever you ultimately decide, we are here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a difficult process, and each cycle is such a draining nightmare. Even when you successfully conquer one step, disappointment may be right around the corner. I watched a TLC program recently about a woman who started trying at 43, and finally got pregnant at 55. She lived through 12 years of disappointments. I wish someone somewhere could guarantee a positive outcome. We would all be lining up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel I can say nothing to make you feel better. This totally sucks and there's no two ways about that.

    One thing I can say though...if you do decide to adopt or use donor eggs...you will still pass down wonderful family traits to your child via nurture (rather than nature per say). You are a great person and no matter how your child comes to you, that will be passed on.

    Please take some time for yourself...do something fun...do something you've been wanting to do forever but keep putting off because of all these stupid treatments...and then hopefully the right decision will come to you in time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Raven, I agree with bbchi - you can pass things down via nurture. Also, I am with you. Although only 36 I apparently have not enough eggs and am now questioning whether they are "older" than I really am. I guess the d&c might tell us that. But, currently, DH & I are struggling with how much longer we try on our own, how many more IVF's to do and when do we apply for adoption or do donor egg? Very very tough questions. I have no idea how we are going to make any of these decisions. Please know we are always here for you to bounce your ideas off of. You WILL have a child. We just don't know how yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Raven-
    Indecison and despair. Not fun. I think all of us who come to the crossroad- looking at alternatives- first have to grieve losing our genetic legacy. I'm grieving it and I'm trying not to minimalize it because it does matter to me. I know I will eventually get over this mountain, but this is where I am right now. With all of my family's quirks and "issues", I still want to be able to tell my child about their ancestors. If we pursue other paths, I know we can "graft in" a child who will become completely a part of our family tree. But for now, I am grieving what cannot be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raven - you are so strong and dedicated to your path, and I am so so sorry you are hurting so badly right now. Please know I'm sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raven, my heart goes out to you and you are wise to postpone the decision till this highly emotional phase passes. Also, you are lucky to hv supportive family, who hv been thru IF; I hv practically no one in my family to talk abt this.
    Agree with bbchi that nurture is what shapes a child's life... you hv been thru so much and on your own, shows you resilience and love... you will be such a great a mother (genetic or not).

    I know that with donor eggs and sperms we may still feel the satisfaction of carring the baby to term, but there is still somthing left to 'chance'. If not genetic, then adoption may be better... just another line of thought.
    I have a friend who has decided to adopt and still try on her own, that way if it does not work, she still has a baby. Also there will be something positive for her to engage-in while continuing on treatments.
    I know its easier said than done, but just wanted to share what she was thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Ciline Dion - 'private' heartbreak ?? really? how does one hv 'private' anything on cover of people magazine ?

    ReplyDelete