Wednesday, February 10, 2010

ET didn't go quite as planned...

I had my FET yesterday after what seemed like an eternity of waiting around for it! I went into it feeling pretty optimistic. However there was a big turn of events! Why does that always happen when we are least expecting it? And why wasn't I expecting it? It seems like after everything we go through we should expect something to go wrong with everything.. Uugh!

So as I'm getting situated on the bed thingy, the nurse mentions the RE's name...What?! That's not my RE, I was told it would be my RE doing the transfer this time! No such luck! Okay, not too big of a deal, it's the same guy who did my last transfer and he's a friend of mine's RE. I can deal with this...

Then my nurse puts up the picture of our little blastocyst.....just one little blastocyst. DH looks at me and is immediately like, "There better be two! We are supposed to be transfering two!" The RE and embryologist come in and say hello and look at the picture of our little guy and tell us how excellent it is and I start interupting telling them there was supposed to be two, we are transfering two today! RE and embryologist look at their charts and say that it states "one or two." What the ??? I had this specific conversation with one of my nurses a couple of weeks ago, where she asked me how many and I told her TWO!! Is there just a lack of communication here or what?!?! Don't get me wrong, I generally love my clinic and all their staff, but this is a big deal to a hormonal woman, laying their naked from the waist down with an uncomfortably full bladder!

The exchange of looks between the RE and embryologist clearly expressed how much they understood this point. It was the look of fear! They immediately went into a whole speech about how in women my age they prefer to transfer 1 and in my case the chances are great because my blastocyst is excellent and there's no reason I shouldn't get pregnant from just the one. They did say however that I could still transfer 2 (I had two more frozen) but I would have to wait for it to thaw, and to top that off it was frozen with the 3rd one so they would have to thaw both of them and then IF the 3rd one made it through the thaw they could try and refreeze it.

It sounded like such a waste to me, to possisbly kill off that third blast just to transfer two this time. So....we transfered the one "excellent" 5 day blastocyst (everything else went super smooth!) and we'll have two more lower quality ones to transfer next time if this doesn't work out. I'm now officially in the 2ww! Beta is Friday the 19th.

7 comments:

  1. Well...obviously we're all rooting for you, Beka!

    But...UGH! Way to eff up, clinic...and have your patient stressed out on the day of transfer. Ridiculous.

    It seems to me, that your next transfer if/when it's needed, should be discounted at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Beka, that's crazy. I bet you and DH were sooo irritated. I don't even know what I would say. But I guess I would end up choosing to transfer the one just like you did. Especially because you've been waiting for your FET and now you're all psyched up for it - even to put it off for a few days would be difficult, not to mention possibly wasting the other embryo.

    Well you've joined the lone ranger club with the rest of us :) I only had one 1 out of 9 make it to blast (6dt) and they also said it looked perfect.

    I'm praying we both get our BFP's next week. I started feeling crampy this afternoon. Seems a little wierd this early (2dp6dt), but I'm hoping maybe it's implantation :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a bummer beka. fingers crossed for the Lone Ranger to stick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys. :o) Lone Rangers are all it takes, right?
    I definitely think the clinic owes me that, KB.

    Kelsey, you never know! It could be implantation. I was looking online last night trying to figure out how many days after ET implantation might happen. I read it could be as early as 1 day after a 5 day transfer so you could be right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like this shit isn't hard enough??!!

    Sounds like you transferred a superstar and good to know you have two left!!

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why does this ever happen??? It's not the first time I've heard such a story. I would be FURIOUS! BUT....nothing wrong with a single embryo transfer. It's becoming more and more common and is very successful much of the time. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry it didn't go as planned, then again does anything EVER go smoothly for us women?? Hopefully this little guy wants the your uterhotel all to himself.. Crossing my fingers for you girl!!

    ReplyDelete