Friday, March 19, 2010

I'm So Naive

I allowed myself to get excited. I told everyone I knew, even though my better judgement told me to wait until I was 10 weeks, after my 2nd u/s, and about to see my regular OB. After 4 great betas I spilled the beans at 6 weeks 1 day (can you say STUPID!!). At 6 wks 6dys, we saw our little one's heartbeat. Everything's great, right?! We had nothing to worry about! Wrong.

Four days later, home alone on a Sunday afternoon while DH was at work, I started having severe stomach pains. I had just had a little bit to eat and seriously thought it was severe gas pains...although I hadn't felt gas pains like this before. I couldn't sit down or even stand up straight. Everything was excruciating! I took my tempurature, my temp was low, not high. Threw up, felt a tiny bit better...enough to actually be able to curl into a ball and fall asleep. Slept about 30 minutes, woke up from the pain, threw up again, was so white I could have been Casper's twin. Was sweaty, shaky, and thought I might pass out. Decided I was ready to go to hospital but waited for DH to get home and take me. This whole ordeal lasted 5 1/2 hours before I made that decision to go to the hospital and DH got home to take me.

Ends up, my pregnancy was ectopic and had ruptured. Apparently I was strong and stable enough that I wasn't rushed into emergency surgery. I was transported to the hospital near my home, to the main branch in Atlanta where my RE's partner (who was on call that night) could do the surgery. There was still concern over whether or not the surgery should be done that night or the next morning. After having a back and chest spasm that bolted me upright in my hospital bed and that wouldn't allow me to breath (all brought on by the RE simply listening to my stomach), and in doing so, scaring the sh*t out of RE and DH, the surgery was on for that night. It was 13 hours between the time that the pain started and the time they began surgery. And no where in these 13 hours was I given pain meds, until RIGHT before the surgery started.
They removed the ectopic, cleaned out 1000cc's of blood, and closed off my other tube from my uterus so that this can't happen again. I came home from the hospital Tuesday afternoon.

Jes, I can't even fathom what you went through. I know it's the same but what you went through was on such a higher level than mine. It's been hard for me or DH to begin to process our loss because there's been so much to focus on physically. I think the emotional aspect is finally starting to take it's toll but it definitely took a while before we could even think about it.

It just sucks. Why do we have to go through this kind of crap after all that we have already suffered through? Will we ever catch a break!!

18 comments:

  1. Oh Beka! So sorry. It sounds excruciating... both physically and mentally excruciating. Hugs. We'll all be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beka...I am so sorry for your loss. I cried reading your story. Your situation sounds eerily similar to what happened to me when I was 23. I found out I was pregnant, then a few days later began to experience terrible back pain. Several hours later I found myself in the hospital undergoing surgery to remove an ectopic. My rt tube was removed and the left was blocked and I was told I could never have another baby. There is no way to comprehend why anyone should have to go through this. Please take care of yourself and heal. Take time to process what has happened and in time you will move forward. It does get easier in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygosh, Beka, I'm soooo sorry! I'm so confused on how they could see a heartbeat, but not know it was ectopic. Praying you heal physically...emotionally will take longer, I know. My RE is talking about closing off my tubes (permanently) for our FET so it doesn't happen to us again either. I can't imagine going thru a rupture when u think everything is fine. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh no... i'm so sorry to hear. hang in there and i pray you guys are able to heal quickly - physically and mentally. i didn't realize that even after they see the U/S and heartbeat that it could then migrate into the tube. that's so scary. anyway, you guys will be in my thoughts. hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beka- I am so sorry for your pain and loss. There is really nothing else to say. You are in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are no words that can take away the pain you are feeling right now. Just please know that we are all here if you ever need anyone to talk to. What you have been through is something I can only imagine and I'm just happy that you pulled through like you did. Take the time you need to grieve and heal from this and be sure to to get lots of rest and relaxation and try not to beat yourself up. This was NOT your fault!! Don't feel bad about telling everyone you were pregnant it's only natural to want to celebrate this with friends and family, it just really sucks that we can't have "normal" pregnancies. My thoughts and prayers are with you Hun (((Big Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beka---I'm so, so sorry to hear this. I have no idea why things like this happen...but I know they shouldn't! I know it's not fair! Please take care. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beka, so so sorry. I can't imagine what you went through. I do understand the loss though. It is hard not to let yourself get excited. Don't be mad at yourself for that or wanting to share your news. That is natural. Just be good to yourself and do what you need to do to get through it. Feel free to come on here and rant in really bad language. We don't give a fuck if you swear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Terribly sad news, Beka. I'm glad that horrible episode is behind you, but so sorry it had to be a part of your experience at all. I hope you have a quick recovery. I'll be thinking of you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beka, I am extremely sorry for what you had to go through. I skipped a heartbeat reading your post. My exp with 2 ectopics were so difficult, even though I did not have to go through surgery. I can't even phantom what you and DH went through. You will be in my thoughts, please update us in coming days, we will be worried about you.

    How can they see the sac with heartbeat and not figure out it was in the tubes. From my detailed discussion with my RE and what she showed in US, they should be able to figure this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beka-Im so glad youre ok, even though you probably arent! I have been wondering how you were doing. Sad to hear this is the answer. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beka - I don't know what to say, my heart aches for you, and I so wish I was there to give you a hug and take care of you. I can't believe you were home alone sick for so long before you made it to the hospital, I am so glad you made it through, and I am so sorry. Please let DH and others take care of you now, you will need them.
    Please don't feel silly about telling people, I did the same thing, we all struggle with that decision...just one more unfair part of IF.
    I'll be thinking about you
    Jes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Beka ... I am so so so sorry. That is just devastating. I'm glad that you made it through physically. I know you will make it emotionally; it just takes time. I will be thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm soooo sorry Beka. I too am wondering where they were looking when they showed you a heartbeat on your ultrasound.

    I also don't want you to feel bad that you told people. Those of us that have had pregnancy failures of one type or another have all done that before. Hopefully, those you told will be able to support you during this difficult time.

    It makes me think that RE's really need to better inform people how high this ectopic risk is w/IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beka, I'm so sorry for you loss. Just heartbreaking. I'm sending you huge hugs. Be extra kind to yourself and to DH during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becka, Oh! I'm so sorry. My heart is breaking for you. Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete