Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Surrogacy question (Bbchi?)

I haven't had my beta yet, but I am 99% positive it didn't work (again), and my SIL (who I am VERY close to. She is the wife of my husband's twin, so we are always together) has offered to be a surrogate. She had two kids very easily(within a month of trying both times-hate her), no miscarriages, and no problems during her pregnancies, so she's perfect.
I think I am done slaying embryos (That can be my new nickname: Embryo Slayer), and would like some of my frozen ones to have a fighting chance. I just had a few questions about it.

1. Does the surrogate need to have a specific blood type? Are there other biological factors such as this that may be involved?

2. Does insurance pay for this to happen, or is it all out of pocket? (I figured we would be paying for the transfer and any meds for her, but are the check-ups and stuff covered by most plans?)

3. Do all REs do it, or is it too controversial? (I plan to ask for a meeting with my RE to discuss this.)

4. Are the success rates the same as a "regular" transfer, or even higher if the surrogate has already been a mother?

Can any of you give me info or lead me to it?
Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Blood type doesn't matter and I can't think of any biological factors except making sure your SIL is healthy w/o any major medical probs.

    Usually the pregnancy itself would be covered under her insurance plan as long as there's no surrogacy exclusion (I don't think this comes up often).

    Totally not controversial. If you look at the bottom of thos SART reports it usually says whether they use gestational carriers.

    I think success rates are typically better if there's an implantation issue rather than an embryo issue.

    I'm not sure of a source of good information...let me look/think about that.

    ReplyDelete