Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I would have posted this as another reply to my original post but it's been over a week and I wanted to make sure those of you who were interested saw it...

Thanks for all the love and support! I know I've been missing again for over a week, I've just been trying to deal with everything and I've had family down from out of state. It was nice to have them here but I realized a few days into it that they were more of a distraction than anything and I wasn't dealing with things. Thankfully DH and I have had the house to ourselves again but unfortunately I had to go back to work after just one week and one day off. :o( It's been horrible!! Seriously. Jes, I know you were out of work for a lot longer, how were you when you did finally go back to work? Was it a living hell?! That's what it's been like for me. Thankfully my friends in the office have threatened the ones in the office who I don't like that much and because of it they've all left me alone since I've been back. I'm just waiting for one of them to slip so I can throat punch them!

I've also had quite a few of you ask questions about the embryo moving after seeing the heartbeat. That was the first thing I was wondering when I was told it was ectopic. I told DH that I didn't believe that could happen. I was right. Apparently the ectopic was sitting right up against the uterus (or on top of it) in a way that could have made it appear that it was in the uterus. My RE didn't do the surgery last week but his partner, who was on call did. I haven't spoken with my RE yet but his partner Dr T. spoke with him before my surgery and my RE said he was sure it was in utero.

I really do love my RE and think he's a good doctor but I'm pissed at the same time. He SHOULD have seen that it was in my tube! I realize that that wouldn't have changed the end result...me no longer being pregnant, but it would have saved me a lot of pain! I do know that he's only human though and that everyone makes mistakes. There were no big red flags saying that I had a problem, I had 4 beta tests and they were all really good and the numbers were doubling like they should. I would like to see about getting a free or discounted cycle out of this though! We'll see how that goes... And you better believe that next time I'm going to make sure they are 100% SURE that my blob is where it's supposed to be. I'll lay there for an hour with my legs spread for the vuvu cam if I have to! But they better be damn sure that everythings okay before they get my hopes up like that again!

11 comments:

  1. glad to hear youre holding up! We all love you and are here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beka, thanks for the update. I've been worrying about you. I'm glad you have friends at work who will run interference for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try to take it easy as much as possible (I know... like HOW??). I hope this weekend you'll have time to really focus on yourself and your healing. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beka, glad that you have friends at work who really care about you and are willing to stick up for you like that, I'm sure it made things a lot easier for you. Hopefully this week-end you can have your alone time wiht DH and try to focus on moving forward. I would push for a free cycle if I were you, I hate it when those stupid idiots mess up at our expense, do they not realize it's our lives they screwing with ughhh!
    Anyways feel better soon sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's crazy that the RE couldn't tell! so scary. anyway, i think you're definitely owed a free cycle or at least some kind of discount.

    feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's weird that they couldn't tell, but I think I remember a case in residency that we had where we thought it was intrauterine and it ended up being ectopic. It's pretty unusual anyway to be able to see a 6wk fetus w/a heartbeat when you find an ectopic anyway. (usually you just see a mass or a sac somewhere outside the uterus...or you don't see anything) It sounds like your office is being more respectful and communicative than Jes's though. Which is important. I was reading an article today about how to prevent patients from suing you...it talks about being honest and upfront w/patients and apologizing (not hiding from them!!!).
    Anyway, Beka glad to hear that you're healing and still so sorry that you had to go through all this. It totally sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beka, thanks for the update, relieved to know that you are recovering and you a nice group of friends at work to shield you from BS.
    When you say, it could be on top of the uterus, you mean outside? Shouldn't they the location at least after the surgery, since they would have removed it during surgery?
    I still believe that they did best of what they could, but just trying to get all the answers.

    Please take care of yourself. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @BBChi -- very very true. That's why you'll see people filing lawsuits and going through all the hassle that involves over a measly $200. People just want validation that they were wronged and a sincere apology!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I definitely am planning on taking it easy this weekend. I need it after the week I've had trying to deal with work and with everything else on top of it. My theme this weekend is from Sublime's Burrito song...

    "I aint gettin
    I aint gettin out of bed today

    I aint got to leave my bed
    No, no, no way, no way" Haha

    It is great having friends at work who stick up for me but it just sucks in general to be back at work. I can't concentrate and have gone through almost a whole box of kleenex. I even burst into tears in a meeting today...way to hold it together, huh?

    I am going to push for a free cycle and I definitely think that my RE's office has been better than Jes's. I haven't heard from my RE specifically yet but my nurse in his office called me this past Monday to check on me and let me know how sorry they are and that they are thinking of me. I agree with that article you read bbchi, I think being honest and upfront is the best way to combat being sued. And if it's really that unusual to see a fetus and heartbeat at that point (and I was 6wk 6day..so practically 7 weeks) if it's ectopic then that was one less reason for them to be concerned about there being a problem. Even the day of the rupture the fetus measured exactly how far along I was.

    Curius, they told me where the ectopic was. It was in my right tube but I can't remember if they said the tube was up against the back or on top of the uterus. It was somewhere against it in a way that apparently appeared to be in the uterus.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, I get it about the position now. I know what you mean by holding it in office. With my first ectopic, no one knew in office abt it (as it ended with MTX, no need to tell). But I made way too many bathroom trips to sob and re-collect myself.
    Also, I understand about your RE, as betas were rising normally and they saw heartbeat, no reason to be suspicious.
    Please take good care of yourself and don't give a damn about others, you are going through a lot.
    My heart goes out to you and Jes.
    Please keep updating us about your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beka, so sorry this happened....wish you a quick recovery and strength to move on.....it's wonderful that you have good friends...we are all here for you

    ReplyDelete