Saturday, May 29, 2010

Journey to Egg Donor

I think I’m the first one of our small group to go with an egg donor. So I thought I’d share my journey if it could help any of you. I sincerely hope that you never get to this point.

It isn’t a snap decision to move forward with an egg donor. Being that I started my fertility journey at 42, it was mentioned as a possibility from the start. I think the clinic doesn’t regard it is that big of a deal….and it certainly helps their success rates. But to me, it was a very big deal. I wanted MY child. I wanted it to be connected to my family and carry down the awesome traits that my parents gave me. When I see kids who look like their parents or show the same personality traits, I’m jealous. I already had to compromise my dream and go for a sperm donor since Mr. Right never showed up. But in many ways, it was so much easier to pick a sperm donor. I didn’t have a picture of Mr. Right in my head, so I could look at the donors almost like a dating site (which I’ve done for years!). However, on the female side, I did know who should be the genetic mother of my child…it was me! And I don’t have a twin or sister to turn to. I kept hoping through all of my treatments that I’d finally have the month with the “golden egg” and I’d get pregnant. But when my first PGD came back with all 4 embryos being genetically abnormal, I had to face the fact that maybe all of my eggs were abnormal. (Does anyone else remember the scene of Young Frankenstein with the brain from Abby Normal?) It was one of the worst days of my life. That was over a year ago. But I’m certainly not a quitter. Last summer, when I had another PGD come back with all embryos abnormal, I asked myself the question: When do you give up on your own eggs? I didn’t have an answer. No one I asked had an answer….and I asked a number of women who had gone to DE and the counselor at my clinic. The counselor pushed hard for me to move onto adoption or DE so I wouldn’t be wasting my time. I started reading a book on Egg Donation. It made me cry. However, I still wanted to get one lucky month. I still desperately wanted a child who was genetically linked to me. I even got one month where my I had a “normal” embryo. It was BFN. But it egged me on (pun intended) to try again, which I did. However after 6 failed cycles…I knew that I couldn’t keep giving my body that level of drugs and hormones on the infinitesimally small chance that I might get a “lucky egg”. 6 is the number of times they’ll let a donor donate. 6 felt like the right amount of times for me to try. I’m very lucky that I could try that many times and that money didn’t hold me back. (Heck, you can earn a lot of money on the way to 44 when you aren’t spending it on kids or a husband!)

When cycle #6 failed in February, I knew in my head that my eggs were done. That my body was done. That I couldn’t put myself through that emotional torture again. However my heart was something different. I had to grieve for my eggs. I cried a river of tears (and I still have crying jags now). I ate comfort food (lots of chocolate and alcohol) and gained 7 pounds. I faced that big black pit of depression. I gave myself a month to do nothing regarding fertility. After a month, I knew I wasn’t getting any younger and if I wanted a baby, I had to start looking for a donor. My clinic had given me a list of recommended donor agencies. I agonized about looking at them. When I had a strong moment, I started to look up the agencies online. Most of the agencies had donor libraries that you could look at for free. For most you had to register, but that was non-binding. The libraries include photos and a profile. What struck me first was how few had “my nose”. I actually never liked my nose growing up. It is a bit big. But as I’ve gotten older, I like it. It is straight with no hook or bump. So many of the donors had cute button noses. I just couldn’t go there. I tried to tell myself to just go for smart and pretty, but I want a child who looks like they could fit into my family. I gave up looking after a couple of hours…but congratulated myself on taking the first step. Didn’t really like any of the women I saw, but at least I was moving forward again. It was a couple of more weeks before I had the strength to face the websites again. I expanded my search to a couple of more agencies online. Then it was April and I had turned 44. If I want a chance at a baby by 45, I need to get my ass in gear. So I spent a Friday night curled up with a cocktail and my computer looking at donors. I was primarily looking at “proven” donors, those who have had previous donor cycles. Heaven forbid that I go through all of this and get an infertile donor! I also decided to expand to include those who have already had a child and so are also “proven”. After staring at too many women and being non-plussed about them all, I finally stumbled upon one who looked like a possibility….she had my nose, or at least was pretty close to it, she had my forehead, my hair texture, my smile, my skin coloring…but not my hair color or eye color. And she is a doctor…so that ranked high for the smarts requirement. She had a child at 20. She is now 30. She looked like someone I could be friends with. When I called the agency the following Monday, I found out that she was available.

Next step, get an IVF lawyer. I put out requests for estimates from 3 which were recommended both by my clinic and the donor agency, and decided on one. She charges a $700 flat fee to go through all the legal contracts and spent an hour on the phone with me. Then I went to the donor agency and put down my good faith contract money and signed the initial papers to get the process rolling. That fee was $5775. The second fee is $7000 and that is the fee that goes to the donor for her “time and effort” gradually as we go through the process. Those fees don’t include the medical costs. I chatted with my clinic to find out what all those costs are and what, if any, of them might be covered by my insurance. Overall clinic costs are around $11,000 (not including drugs). I have enough insurance to cover the majority of that, but then I’ll hit my lifetime max. Since I already hit my lifetime max for fertility drugs, I’ll pay for those as well. However as the donor is young and healthy, I won’t have to pay for excessive amounts of drugs like I took. I wouldn’t be surprised if the total DE process equals $30,000 with maybe insurance covering $7-10k. This is not a cheap endeavor...especially coming off of my past 6 cycles where I spent over $30,000 of my own money beyond insurance.

If I wanted to, I could meet my donor or talk on the phone with her. I’ve decided against that. I’m too scared that she’d find something wrong with me or I’d find something wrong with her and I don’t want to put another roadblock up. I’ve said that if she wants to meet me I will, but I don’t think she is requiring it. So while I’ve seen the 24 photos online, this donation will remain anonymous. She has agreed to let the child contact her once the child is grown. It was one of my wishes as I have the same agreement on the sperm donor side.

The donor went for her initial medical screening with my RE yesterday. My RE sent me an email saying, “She is great.” I cheered out loud when I got that email. The nurse called to tell me that the donor’s antral follicle count was 12, she has above average ovarian volume, and that they really felt like she was confident about going through the full cycle. It is a huge relief to get over this first hurdle. Now we just wait for my period which should come in the next week or so and then the donor and I will align our timing with BCPs. If all goes well, embryo transfer would be late July or early August.

So, how did I know when to give up on my eggs? I knew when I couldn’t fathom doing another cycle. I just couldn’t do it to myself again both emotionally and physically. However the grieving process took months and I’m still not over it.

How did I know when I found the right donor? When I knew that I didn’t want anyone else to pick her before I could.

Why didn’t I decide to try adoption? This is more complicated. I think adoption is great. If I could sign up and get a great healthy baby in 6 months or a year…I’d do it. But that isn’t how it works….especially if you are single and 44. Nobody is going to pick me as the ideal mom instead of a great couple in their 30s. I’ve heard my fill of horror stories of wait times, international screw-ups, developmental problems, etc. And finally, I would like to be pregnant and give birth to my child. Therefore, donor eggs seem to fit better for me.

However, as with any IF plan, there are so many tough hurdles ahead. All the normal IVF issues of: Will she have a good response to stims? Fert. rates? Good quality embryos? Beta? Etc.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have regarding the process.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story with the blog, Raven. It has tremendous value.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You rock Raven! I know your story will help someone!! Keeping my fingers crossed for you : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raven (I know this is not cool to say anymore but...) you are da bomb! I am SOOOO excited for you that I need to put some extra exclamation points like ASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so sorry I haven't re-responded to you sooner so we can have that drink. Now time is of the essence before your baby gets in there!! When are you free in June????

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really deserve for this to work out raven. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for posting this. Very well written. The parts about how you knew when to give up on your own eggs and how you knew when you found the right donor are incredibly helpful as well as the financial information. Things are moving quickly now it seems. Can't wait to hear more...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Raven,
    thanks for sharing. I've been wondering where you were in the process. Last I heard was that you had found a donor that you liked.
    It is especially helpful to read that you went through a grieving process over your eggs. I'm going through that too (as I'm in the throws of cycle 3).
    What type of meds do you need for yourself as a donor egg recipient? I have BOXES of Crinone suppositories. I'd be happy to send them to you.
    I'm so very excited for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this powerful post Raven. I'm so glad you talked about the grieving process -- it's so true, at so many stages of IF (grieving you'll never have a "natural" / "whoopsie" pregnancy -- if ever, grieving that REs must be involved, etc., grieving the loss of privacy, grieving the loss of carefree and happy times, all the way to adoption -- grieving for no pregnancy, no genetic ties, etc.). There's always grieving for the loss of things the way you imagined them to be, and for what should have been.

    I know your post will help anyone out there at whatever stage they are in, and I hope it will cause someone to think first before they stupidly blurt out that someone should "just" do anything (adopt, get donor eggs, give up, etc.).

    Lastly, I just want you to know I ate a whole bunch of beans and cauliflower just so I could fart massive amounts of glittery baby dust your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank-you for sharing your story Raven, I hope it will help out someone else in the same situation as you. I think you are a brave and very strong woman and I truly hope you are one day blessed with your child. All the best Sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Raven, thank you for sharing your story. You are an amazing woman and will be an incredible mother.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Raven, I followed your posts and cycles on FT and I have always admired you. I think you are an amazing woman and I hope someday we can all meet with our snotty-nosed kids at a resort and lay on the beach and laugh about all that we went through to be mommies. In the meantime - you keep on keeping on - you inspire me beyond measure!
    I heart you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. raven - thanks for posting that. it was amazing to read - how you came to where you are right now. i think it sounds like you found a great donor and i PRAY that her cycle and your cycle go PERFECTLY and that you end up with your family at last. all the best. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Raven - I am so proud and amazed at your continued strength. Thank you so much for sharing your story, pain, grief, and now hope. I think it is ASH-tastic!!!!!!!!!!!!! that you found a donor that 'clicked', and I can't wait to hear about your journey.
    Sending dusty, farty, rainbowy thoughts -
    Jes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raven you are amazing!!! What strength you have!!! You also give me hope. At 41 I'm heading to IVF #3. I don't think I could do 6 like you but I know we all do more than we thought we could in this process. When you think about the small teeny little egg that you can't see and how much importance we put on that it seems so unimportant. But we all get how you feel and we all have that desire to have OUR child. But you will have YOUR child. A child that would never exist if it were not for you. A child conceived in love more so than any romp in the hay - hell that's easy! You will have created a child that is unique and special and loved and yours. You will be very happy with your decision I am sure.

    Two weeks ago, my girlfriend gave birth to triplet boys from a donor IVF cycle. She had her concerns and of course wished she could have used her eggs. Guess what - two weeks ago she got over it pretty damn fast. She has 3 beautiful boys and she loves them so much! I will not wish triplets on you though!!!! Thanks for posting. :) Let's plan that Chicago area get-together soon.

    ReplyDelete